Japan's Nikkei share average fell on Monday in choppy trade as worries about Chinese economic and financial stability soured investor sentiment, dragging down China-related stocks such as construction equipment makers and some exporters.
The benchmark Nikkei, which climbed as much as 1.5 percent early in the session, ended the day down 1.3 percent at 13,062.78.
Of 33 Topix subsectors, 25 were lower, with China-related stocks have the largest declines. The Nikkei China 50 index fell 1.9 percent.
Komatsu Ltd dropped 4.6 percent and Hitachi Construction Machinery Co by 3.7 percent. Fanuc Corp skidded 2.3 percent and Nissan Motor Co slid 3.4 percent.
Early on Monday, the Nikkei rose, supported by a weak yen. But a sell-off in other Asian markets, which were in oversold territory, erased the gains.
China bank shares led the downward spiral after official news reports at the weekend suggested Beijing would continue to keep monetary policy tight.
The resignation Monday of Yuko Obuchi, Japan's industry minister, was a heavy blow to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and the cabinet he named last month. And there are concerns in the government and ruling parties that Obuchi is only the first in a string of coming cabinet resignations. (Nikkei)
Osaka Mayor Toru Hashimoto met with the head of an anti-Korean group on Monday as he considers cracking down on hate speech rallies in the western Japan city, but they ended up having a shouting match in which they more or less just insulted each other. (Kyodo)
Osaka Prefectural Police on Friday arrested two male suspects for allegedly dumping a large quantity of adult video (AV) material inside a park in Nishinari Ward, reports the Sankei Shimbun (Oct. 17). (Tokyo Reporter)
Empress Michiko celebrated her 80th birthday on Monday. In a statement distributed to media by the Imperial Household Agency, the empress said she hoped the world could find peace ahead of the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II next year. (Japan Today)
The Nagano prefectural government's disaster response headquarters said Thursday it has decided to end its search this year for missing hikers on Mt. Ontake due to the growing risk of secondary accidents. (The Japan News)