The Tokyo High Court on Thursday ruled against former television entertainer Shinsuke Shimada, 57, and his agency in an appeal lawsuit for libel filed against publisher Kodansha.
Agency Yoshimoto Kogyo and Shimada sought damages of 40 million yen for an article about the former entertainer's associations with organized crime that appeared in the October 15 (2011) issue of weekly tabloid Shukan Gendai under the headline that read: "Shimada, you are a gangster."
Yoshimoto Kogyo was critical over content in the article that indicated that the agency was accommodating to its performers associating with organized crime members. For this part of the suit, presiding judge Kenta Suzuki ruled that a payment of 1.1 million yen was due to Yoshimoto Kogyo.
Last year, the Tokyo District Court also ruled in favor of Kodansha in a damages suits seeking 165 million yen.
The resignation Monday of Yuko Obuchi, Japan's industry minister, was a heavy blow to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and the cabinet he named last month. And there are concerns in the government and ruling parties that Obuchi is only the first in a string of coming cabinet resignations. (Nikkei)
Check the locks on all the Colonel Sanders statues in Osaka, because the Hanshin Tigers are headed back to the Japan Series and it was a big home run from a bearded foreign star that helped get them there. (Japan Times)
The government on Friday approved Central Japan Railway Co.'s plan to construct the Linear Chuo Shinkansen line, paving the way for the 2027 start of magnetic levitation train service connecting Tokyo and Nagoya in 40 minutes. (The Japan News)
Osaka Prefectural Police on Friday arrested two male suspects for allegedly dumping a large quantity of adult video (AV) material inside a park in Nishinari Ward, reports the Sankei Shimbun (Oct. 17). (Tokyo Reporter)
Empress Michiko celebrated her 80th birthday on Monday. In a statement distributed to media by the Imperial Household Agency, the empress said she hoped the world could find peace ahead of the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II next year. (Japan Today)
The Nagano prefectural government's disaster response headquarters said Thursday it has decided to end its search this year for missing hikers on Mt. Ontake due to the growing risk of secondary accidents. (The Japan News)