Leading Japanese animation film director Hayao Miyazaki will retire from movie production, it was learned Sunday.
According to participants in the ongoing Venice International Film Festival, Studio Ghibli Inc. President Koji Hoshino told a press conference in the Italian city that Miyazaki, 72, will retire with the latest full-length film, "The Wind Rises" (Kaze Tachinu), released on July 20. The movie, which features the chief engineer of the Zero fighter plane used in World War II, has become a box office hit drawing an audience of over 6.49 million as of last Monday.
After producing the "Future Boy Conan" (Mirai Shonen Konan) television animation series in the late 1970s, Miyazaki started his career as a movie director with "Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro." Later, he launched Studio Ghibli and released many animated features, including "My Neighbor Totoro" (Tonari no Totoro) and "Princess Mononoke" (Mononoke Hime).
Fourteen more people in Japan have been confirmed to have dengue fever, sending the total number of cases to 36 since the first domestic case was reported last week, the health ministry said Tuesday. (Jiji Press)
Tokyo metropolitan police have issued an arrest warrant for the former general manager of the Grand Hyatt Tokyo hotel located in Roppongi Hills, after he allegedly attempted to forcibly kiss a female guest. (Japan Today)
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi had an audience with Japanese Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on Tuesday, as part of his five-day trip to Japan to strengthen bilateral ties amid the military rise of China. (Kyodo)
The Criminal Investigation Command of Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force on Tuesday sent to prosecutors papers on an officer for alleged assault and property damage over the suicide of a crewman after the officer's suspected bullying. (Jiji Press)
Hokkaido Prefectural Police on Monday accused a restaurant in Chuo Ward of violating labor laws by attiring waitresses under the age of 18 in bikinis, reports the Hokkaido Shimbun (Sept. 2). (Tokyo Reporter)
The Tokyo District Public Prosecutors Office on Monday decided not to indict Torao Tokuda, former head of hospital group Tokushukai, over a high-profile election fraud case, because he is seriously ill. (The Japan News)