How will your favorite leading lady from Studio Ghibli’s library stack up?
If there’s one thing we can count on Studio Ghibli for, it’s a strong leading heroine. The girls of Ghibli films are determined, flawed, and all the more interesting for their funny quirks and adorable expressions. Whether your favorite is the somber Kiki, the resourceful Arrietty, or the wild wolf child San, you’ve got to appreciate just how many great girls populate the Studio Ghibli roster.
▼ Witch Kiki is an obvious standout.
But forget about favorites for a moment—which Ghibli heroine do you feel best reflects you, as a person? Take a moment to think it over. Then see how your results compare to those of a recent online survey held by streaming-guide service 1Screen, where 300 men and women aged from their teens to their sixties were quizzed on which heroine they relate to the most.
Let’s count down!
11. Naoko from The Wind Rises and Umi from Up on Poppy Hill (tie)
10. Marnie from When Marnie Was There
9. Haru from The Cat Returns
7. Sheeta from Castle in the Sky and Arrietty from The Secret World of Arrietty (tie)
6. San from Princess Mononoke
5. Sophie from Howl’s Moving Castle
4. Shizuku Tsukishima from Whisper of the Heart
Moving on to the top three, the first girl to make the cut is Chihiro from Spirited Away.
▼ Congratulations on third place, Chihiro!
Those who filled in the survey could leave comments, and here are a few from the people who picked Chihiro as the most relatable of the lot.