News On Japan

Japanese woman who spoke up about sexual abuse makes Time's '100 Next' list

TOKYO, Sep 14 (NHK) - US magazine Time has chosen a former female member of Japan's Ground Self-Defense Force who has spoken up about sexual violence among its list of 100 rising stars who will shape the future.

The magazine has been running its "100 Next" feature since 2019.

This year's list announced on Wednesday includes Gonoi Rina in the "advocates" category, who went public about suffering sexual abuse by multiple male colleagues in her unit.

Time noted that the resulting wave of support pushed officials to launch a larger investigation into cases of harassment within the Self-Defense Forces, and prompted countless other women to come forward with their own stories.

The magazine says, "In Japanese society, speaking up about sexual violence has long been a taboo, but Rina's courage has kicked the door open for all survivors."

Gonoi commented that her actions have been assessed favorably, and that this will empower her to carry on.

Another Japanese who made the 100 Next list is Eri Arfiya, 34, who the magazine says "has become a champion of diversity in Japan."

Eri was born in Japan to parents from China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.

She worked at the Bank of Japan and the United Nations, and won a seat in the Lower House of Japan's Diet in April this year.

Time chose Eri for the "leaders" category, saying that she marks a sharp break from her peers in the Diet, who are mostly male and whose average age is 56.

Source: ANNnewsCH

News On Japan
POPULAR NEWS

The Japanese government has decided to expand its tuition-free high school program this spring. Public high school tuition is now completely free regardless of household income, and starting next academic year, the scope of support for private schools will also be broadened.

Shuri Castle, a symbol of Okinawa's Ryukyu heritage, suffered extensive damage in a devastating fire in October 2019 that destroyed the main hall and many other structures. The cause of the blaze remains unknown.

A deepening labor shortage in Japan’s construction industry is beginning to impact homebuyers, with some experiencing delays of more than six months before construction can even begin due to a lack of available carpenters.

The Imperial Household Agency launched an official YouTube channel on April 1st to introduce the activities of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako.

Japan's new fiscal year began on April 1st, with companies across the country holding entrance ceremonies to welcome new employees.

MEDIA CHANNELS
         

MORE Society NEWS

In response to a sharp rise in women soliciting prostitution on the streets of Osaka's Kita entertainment district, police and local authorities implemented countermeasures last year. But how effective have those measures been?

As Japan marks 80 years since the end of World War II, Angelita Oshiro, an 86-year-old second-generation Japanese woman living in Davao on the southern Philippine island of Mindanao, was finally granted the restoration of her long-awaited Japanese citizenship on April 2nd.

Cherry blossoms are now in full bloom. On April 2nd, crowds gathered along the Okawa River in Osaka to enjoy the hanami season. While spring typically lifts spirits, this year’s celebrations come with a pinch.While moods may be rising, so are prices.

A fire broke out on the morning of April 2nd at a farm in Kamishihoro, a town in the Tokachi region of Hokkaido, killing approximately 20 cattle housed in a barn.

A special unit dedicated to investigating "lone offenders"—individuals who commit acts of terrorism without belonging to any specific organization—has been established for the first time in Japan within the Public Security Bureau of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department.

The Imperial Household Agency launched an official YouTube channel on April 1st to introduce the activities of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako.

Downtown, the popular comedy duo, has stepped down as official ambassadors for the Osaka-Kansai Expo, according to an announcement by the Japan Association for the 2025 World Exposition.

A tour bus carrying over 20 foreign tourists collided with a van inside the Tokiwa Tunnel on the Dōō Expressway on March 31st, sending several people to the hospital.