News On Japan

Serious coronavirus cases rising in Japan

Feb 15, 2022 (NHK) - New coronavirus infections are declining in many parts of Japan, but serious cases are increasing nationwide.

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government on Monday reported 10,334 new cases, for a 6th straight day of week-on-week decline.

Seriously ill patients on ventilators or ECMO heart-lung machines in the capital rose by 9 from Sunday to 74.

The number of cases deemed serious nationwide was nearly 1,400 on Monday, the most this year, amid high hospital occupancy rates.

Quasi-emergency measures are set to expire in 21 prefectures next Sunday, and some are considering extending them.

The central prefecture of Shizuoka is one of them. Its Governor Kawakatsu Heita announced on Monday that he is asking the central government to extend the period.

Kawakatsu said, "We have to curb the spread of infections while the quasi-emergency measures are in effect, so that we can easily hold important events such as graduation and entrance ceremonies around the start of the new fiscal year."

Osaka Governor Yoshimura Hirofumi told reporters that he wants to extend the current quasi-emergency measures, but did not make clear whether he would request a state of emergency. He earlier suggested that it be considered.

Osaka reported nearly 8,000 new cases on Monday.

The number of seriously ill patients was 203, up 12 from Sunday.

News On Japan
POPULAR NEWS

Plans to bring Shinkansen service to Shikoku have taken a significant step forward for the first time in 53 years, with the transport ministry beginning preliminary studies that could eventually cut travel times from Osaka to major cities including Tokushima, Takamatsu and Matsuyama to around 90 minutes.

A Takenaka Corp. construction manager who oversaw work on the Grand Ring and other facilities at the Osaka-Kansai Expo was arrested on August 19 on suspicion of causing more than 13 million yen in losses to the major contractor through inflated construction bills, with police investigating allegations that money from the scheme was used for renovations to his home and a cafe operated by relatives.

Typhoon No. 18 (Soudelor) formed near the Truk Islands on August 19 and is forecast to strengthen as it gradually turns northwest, potentially approaching the Ogasawara Islands before moving toward Okinawa or the Pacific coast of western Japan.

After 10 p.m., the clouds that had covered the sky above Shirakoma Pond gradually began to clear, revealing countless stars and the Milky Way rising vividly over the mountain lake in Nagano Prefecture's Northern Yatsugatake range.

A fire broke out at Sairinji temple in Saga city on the morning of August 18, engulfing the building in flames and prompting the dispatch of 10 fire engines and two ambulances, with no injuries reported so far.

MEDIA CHANNELS
         

MORE Society NEWS

Handheld fans have become a summer essential in Japan, but a rise in accidents involving hair becoming caught in the devices is prompting warnings over injuries, potential legal liability and fires caused by lithium-ion batteries.

Seven people were injured after a Toei bus and a trailer collided in Tokyo's Koto Ward shortly after 6 p.m., leaving the bus mounted on a central median.

Tokyo is preparing to allow hunting of Asian black bears for the first time in about 20 years, with a proposed hunting season from November through February and an annual capture target of around 34 animals in parts of the Tama region, including Hachioji.

Police are investigating after a custom-made chili pepper-shaped lantern worth more than 200,000 yen was smashed outside a restaurant in Kyoto's Gion district, with security camera footage capturing a person striking and destroying the shop's distinctive symbol.

A fire broke out at Sairinji temple in Saga city on the morning of August 18, engulfing the building in flames and prompting the dispatch of 10 fire engines and two ambulances, with no injuries reported so far.

Princess Aiko attended the opening ceremony of an international conference on semiconductor physics on the morning of August 17, expressing condolences for those killed in the Kumamoto earthquake and torrential rain in Chiba Prefecture before addressing researchers from around the world.

A 77-year-old man charged with attempted murder has gone missing after apparently leaving a hospital in Hakodate, Hokkaido, where he had been admitted for medical treatment, prompting prosecutors and police to search for him.

A 77-year-old hunter from Sunagawa, Hokkaido, who won a Supreme Court ruling overturning the revocation of his firearms license, filed a damages lawsuit against the national government and Hokkaido on August 17 after discovering that one of four seized hunting rifles had been destroyed years earlier without being returned to him.