News On Japan

Flood Damage Cripples Chiba Transport

CHIBA - Severe disruption continued across Chiba Prefecture after the holiday period, with rail closures forcing some commuters into three-hour journeys while more than 2,700 vehicles remained immobilized by flooding caused by last week's torrential rain.

At JR Soga Station in Chiba city on the evening of August 17, long lines formed for replacement buses because sections of the JR Sotobo Line remained suspended following the heavy rain.

The buses were carrying passengers about 30 kilometers to Mobara Station, but some travelers still had to transfer to trains from there to reach home.

One passenger returning from work said he would have to change to a train again at Mobara. "It is 7 p.m. now, so I probably won't get home until around 10 p.m. Normally, by then I would have finished dinner and cleaning up," he said.

Another commuter said the morning journey had also been severely affected. "I probably waited more than an hour," the passenger said. Asked how long the usual commute takes, the passenger said 30 to 40 minutes, compared with a total of about three hours on August 17.

JR East said service between Oami and Honno stations will resume from the first train on August 18. The company is aiming to restore operations between Honda and Oami stations on Monday, August 24.

The torrential rain that struck Chiba last week has left 10 people dead. More than 2,000 homes across the prefecture have suffered damage, including flooding above and below floor level and structural damage.

The flooding has also left large numbers of vehicles unable to move.

At a roadside assistance company in Chiba city, workers have been responding to about 200 towing requests since the heavy rain struck on Thursday, August 13, with the company's entire workforce involved in recovery operations.

More than 2,700 vehicles across Chiba Prefecture have been left immobilized after being submerged or otherwise damaged by floodwaters.

At one location, workers encountered a vehicle whose engine would not start and which could only be moved by tow truck. However, even towing proved difficult.

"The parking brake cannot be released and the tires will not move, so we may have to come back another day," a roadside assistance worker said.

Many other vehicles cannot be moved immediately, and workers estimate it could take about three weeks to remove all of them.

Takashi Saito of Sakae Iron Works said access to damaged vehicles is one of the main obstacles slowing recovery efforts. "It is fine if the vehicle is on a large road or somewhere that can be driven on, but in residential areas and various other places, this tow truck cannot get in. That means the work can take some time," he said.

Chiba Prefecture and other authorities have established a project team to address the large number of stranded vehicles, with a countermeasures meeting scheduled for August 18.

Flooding also continues around a nursing care facility in Mobara, where water remains on the road in front of the building, preventing vehicles from entering or leaving.

Floodwater temporarily entered the facility itself, forcing residents to evacuate to the second floor. Emergency supplies were delivered by the city on August 16, but difficult conditions have continued.

"Water has been coming back up through drains, including around the toilets, and we are cleaning it now," the facility manager said.

Cleaning and disinfection of the kitchen have been completed, allowing the facility to resume serving meals from the evening of August 17, but concerns remain about the health of residents staying in cramped conditions.

"We are living in evacuation conditions packed together in a confined space, so we are extremely concerned about the impact on people's health," the manager said.

Source: TBS

News On Japan
POPULAR NEWS

Severe disruption continued across Chiba Prefecture after the holiday period, with rail closures forcing some commuters into three-hour journeys while more than 2,700 vehicles remained immobilized by flooding caused by last week's torrential rain.

Train stations, airports and expressways were crowded on August 16 as travelers returned from vacations and hometown visits on the final day of the Obon holiday.

A 12-year-old British girl who disappeared while visiting Japan with her family was found safe in Yokohama on Saturday night, about 59 hours after leaving their private lodging in Tokyo, with police saying there was no indication that she had been involved in a crime.

More than 1,200 vehicles are believed to have been left stranded on roads across Chiba Prefecture after torrential rain caused widespread flooding, with authorities confirming eight deaths and investigating a drainage pump failure at an underpass where a man died.

Japan's weather agency raised the volcanic alert level for Mount Aso in Kumamoto Prefecture from Level 2 to Level 3 on August 14 after volcanic tremors strengthened and gas emissions increased sharply, warning people to stay away from areas within about 2 kilometers of the Nakadake No. 1 crater.

MEDIA CHANNELS
         

MORE Travel NEWS

Nagoya's municipal subway will introduce a contactless credit card payment service at all 87 stations from September 3, allowing passengers to pass through ticket gates simply by tapping a compatible card.

Kyoto's traditional Gozan Okuribi bonfire ceremony was held on the night of August 16, lighting the skies above the ancient capital as residents marked the end of the Obon season by sending off the spirits of their ancestors.

Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways are preparing to coordinate schedules on some domestic routes as the longtime rivals seek ways to maintain air services.

The Miyazu Lantern Floating and Fireworks Festival, a traditional summer event said to have a history of more than 400 years, illuminated the waterfront in Miyazu, Kyoto Prefecture, as lanterns carrying prayers drifted across the sea and fireworks lit the night sky.

Donguri Village, an interactive tourist attraction in Saga city that has welcomed visitors for nearly four decades, is expected to close as early as autumn 2027 because of aging facilities and a decline in visitor numbers.

Bear sightings are increasing across Japan as the animals become more active during their summer breeding season, with encounters reported near major tourist destinations, campsites and fishing areas, including an attack that left a man injured in Gunma Prefecture.

The return rush at Kansai International Airport peaked on August 14 as travelers who spent the Obon holiday overseas arrived back in Japan, with 39,300 international passengers expected to land at the airport during the day.

Osaka police have arrested or referred 38 men and women in their 20s to 40s over suspected dangerous group driving and other offenses on Hanna Road, a mountain route linking Daito in Osaka Prefecture with Nara, as illegal street racing continues to disturb residents despite years of enforcement.