Aug 28 (NHK) - NHK has learned from multiple diplomatic sources that North Korea has canceled an air show that was due to be held next month.
In September last year, North Korea held the air show in the eastern city of Wonsan. It featured more than 20 aircraft from the Korean People's Army and the state-run Air Koryo airline.
A MiG-29 fighter jet roared into the air and circled above some 15,000 spectators, including foreign tourists. Military helicopters demonstrated low-altitude flights in formation.
The website of North Korea's tourism agency said the event would be held for 2 days from September 23rd. Foreign media were also invited.
Observers had thought that Pyongyang would go ahead with the event to show its defiance of international sanctions. The export of jet fuel to the North is basically prohibited under a UN Security Council resolution.
Diplomatic sources told NHK that the reason for the cancellation is unknown. But other sources say the country may want to avoid wasting fuel.
Source: ANNnewsCH













