Sports | Jan 08

New Year Grand Sumo tournament opens in Tokyo

TOKYO, Jan 08 (NHK) - The New Year Grand Sumo tournament opened in Tokyo on Sunday. This tournament has only one yokozuna, the highest rank, and a single ozeki, the second highest, on the ranking list.

This lack of top wrestlers last happened 125 years ago. But Yokozuna Grand Champion Terunofuji sat out the first day due to surgery on both knees he underwent in October of last year.

Ozeki Takakeisho started the tournament with a win over Komusubi Wakamotoharu. He pushed his opponent out of the ring. Wakamotoharu was promoted to the fourth-highest rank after the previous tournament. ...continue reading


Kimie Bessho, a legend in wheelchair table tennis, continues her relentless pursuit of strength, undeterred by the challenges life has thrown her way.

The Grand Sumo Yokozuna Deliberation Council convened, and Chairman Masayuki Yamauchi reflected on the spring tournament, where the performance of young wrestlers like Tsunofuji, who achieved the first championship as a new top-division wrestler in 110 years, stood out, saying, "The future of sumo is becoming very bright."

American media outlets have reported that the university which Shohei Ohtani's former interpreter, Ippei Mizuhara, claimed to have graduated from, has no record of his attendance.


Four men have been arrested by Tokyo police for allegedly recruiting women for prostitution in the United States via a website, promising encounters with affluent clients and high earnings.

For the first time in 73 years, Japan has unveiled a newly constructed whaling mother ship, equipped with drone technology for whaling operations in the Antarctic Sea.

The Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) in Nara Prefecture has disciplined its former Youth Division Chief following a controversial dance party incident.

Residents of Japan's oldest student dormitory, self-managed for over 100 years, are digging in as Kyoto University attempts to evict them from the premises.

A Japan Airlines flight en route from Melbourne to Narita Airport encountered sudden severe turbulence on April 1, causing injuries to several cabin crew, including a broken leg.