Sports | Jan 22

Ozeki Takakeisho wins 3rd sumo title

TOKYO, Jan 22 (NHK) - Ozeki Takakeisho won his third title on the final day of the New Year Grand Sumo tournament in Tokyo on Sunday. It was his first title since November 2020.

Takakeisho finished with 12 wins and three losses by beating the lower-ranked Kotoshoho with a beltless arm throw in the final bout.

Takakeisho and Kotoshoho had been tied with 11 wins and 3 losses after the 14th day on Saturday.

Takakeisho lost on the second day of the 15-day tournament, but went on to win eight bouts in a row with his powerful pushing and thrusting attacks. ...continue reading


Kimie Bessho, a legend in wheelchair table tennis, continues her relentless pursuit of strength, undeterred by the challenges life has thrown her way.

The Grand Sumo Yokozuna Deliberation Council convened, and Chairman Masayuki Yamauchi reflected on the spring tournament, where the performance of young wrestlers like Tsunofuji, who achieved the first championship as a new top-division wrestler in 110 years, stood out, saying, "The future of sumo is becoming very bright."

American media outlets have reported that the university which Shohei Ohtani's former interpreter, Ippei Mizuhara, claimed to have graduated from, has no record of his attendance.


Four men have been arrested by Tokyo police for allegedly recruiting women for prostitution in the United States via a website, promising encounters with affluent clients and high earnings.

For the first time in 73 years, Japan has unveiled a newly constructed whaling mother ship, equipped with drone technology for whaling operations in the Antarctic Sea.

The Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) in Nara Prefecture has disciplined its former Youth Division Chief following a controversial dance party incident.

Residents of Japan's oldest student dormitory, self-managed for over 100 years, are digging in as Kyoto University attempts to evict them from the premises.

A Japan Airlines flight en route from Melbourne to Narita Airport encountered sudden severe turbulence on April 1, causing injuries to several cabin crew, including a broken leg.