News On Japan

Brawl Erupts on Tokyo Train, Emergency Button Triggered

TOKYO, Apr 13 (News On Japan) - An argument between two passengers on a moving train in Tokyo escalated into a physical altercation, resulting in the pressing of the emergency stop button and causing disarray.

The incident was captured on video on the JR Ueno Tokyo Line around 3 PM on April 5.

The confrontation started when a young man in green clothing and an older man in blue clothing exchanged harsh words and blows inside the train car.

Green-clothed man: "Damn old man!"

Blue-clothed man: "Don’t touch me! Don’t touch!"

Green-clothed man: "Let's go to the station staff!"

Their squabble quickly turned into a fistfight, ignoring the proximity of other passengers, including a frightened child clinging to her mother.

As the violence escalated, the scene moved to the platform once the train halted at Ueno Station.

Green-clothed man: "Come here, you old fool!"

Blue-clothed man: "Thief!"

Green-clothed man: "You hit me!"

It was the younger man who pressed the emergency stop button.

The altercation finally subsided when another passenger intervened, though a loud alarm continued to blare on the platform, creating a chaotic atmosphere.

Station personnel responded quickly, but the elderly man in blue had already fled the scene.

Eyewitnesses suggested the fray began when the man in green tried to move to another car and the older man, standing by the connection, allegedly attempted to trip him.

The incident caused up to a two-minute delay on the Ueno Tokyo Line and minor delays on other lines due to the emergency stop.

The man who pressed the emergency stop was questioned by the police, but the whereabouts of the older man remain unknown.

Source: FNN


Makoto Nishimoto, a former Miyazaki City councilor who goes by the name Super Crazy Kun, has been sentenced to four years and six months in prison for forcibly taking a woman in her 30s, whom he knew, into a hotel in Miyazaki City last September and assaulted her by restraining her arms and committing non-consensual intercourse resulting in injury.

NTT has unveiled Japan's first technology aimed at improving the power efficiency of data centers, which are known for their high heat generation and substantial power consumption.

A pair of premium melons from Yubari City in northern Japan has fetched 3 million yen in the first auction of the year. That's about 19,000 dollars. The luxury fruit is a popular gift in the country. (NHK)

A new facial recognition system, set to be widely used at next year's Osaka-Kansai Expo, has been unveiled.

Shohei Ohtani has reportedly purchased a mansion worth approximately 1.2 billion yen near Dodger Stadium, according to local media.



The Japanese government is considering raising the definition of elderly by five years, from 65 to 70, in light of increasing healthy life expectancy. Currently, the definition of elderly starts at 65, but raising it to 70 has people on the street fuming.

Four people, likely to be three children and one woman, were found dead after a fire broke out on Thursday at a house in Tokyo, according to Japan's fire authorities and investigative sources. (Kyodo)

The body of a man, believed to have been killed by a bear in the forests of Kazuno City, Akita Prefecture, has been identified as a missing man from Aomori Prefecture.

A 55-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of hugging and attempting to kiss a female flight attendant on an All Nippon Airways (ANA) flight, claiming he was too intoxicated to remember the incident, according to the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department.

Five teenagers have been arrested in Chiba Prefecture for riding motorcycles in a reckless manner, endangering cars as the gang entered an intersection on a red light.

More than 1,000 fire ants, a designated invasive species, have been found in a container at Yokohama Port. This marks the first confirmed case in Japan this year.

Prosecutors have once again demanded the death penalty in the retrial of the so-called Hakamada Case, which is being held at the Shizuoka District Court.

The bodies of four calves were discovered on a farm in Betsukai, Hokkaido, in what appears to be a bear attack.