Society | Sep 12

Bears attacking daily in Akita Prefecture

Akita, Sep 12 (News On Japan) - An 82-year-old man working on a farm in northern Japan was attacked by a bear on Monday, suffering scratches to the face, the 7th such attack in Akita Prefecture on consecutive days.

According to police and the fire department, the bear attacked the farmer while he was working in his field in Happo, Akita Prefecture, at around 2 PM on September 11. The man was reported to be conscious while being transported to hospital by helicopter after the bear had savaged his face and other body parts.

A neighbor commented, "I never thought a bear would come this close to a residential area."

People have been attacked by bears for seven consecutive days throughout Akita Prefecture, with repeated cases of bears attacking in areas inhabited by humans.

Source: NTV NEWS


The Imperial Household Agency has announced that Princess Kako, the second daughter of the Akishino family, is scheduled to visit Greece in late May to promote international goodwill.

The Taiji Town Whale Museum in Wakayama Prefecture conducted a memorial service on Tuesday for marine mammals and fish that have died in captivity.

A startling projection has been unveiled, suggesting that if current trends continue, every Japanese person might eventually be named 'Sato'.


Four men have been arrested by Tokyo police for allegedly recruiting women for prostitution in the United States via a website, promising encounters with affluent clients and high earnings.

For the first time in 73 years, Japan has unveiled a newly constructed whaling mother ship, equipped with drone technology for whaling operations in the Antarctic Sea.

The Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) in Nara Prefecture has disciplined its former Youth Division Chief following a controversial dance party incident.

Residents of Japan's oldest student dormitory, self-managed for over 100 years, are digging in as Kyoto University attempts to evict them from the premises.

A Japan Airlines flight en route from Melbourne to Narita Airport encountered sudden severe turbulence on April 1, causing injuries to several cabin crew, including a broken leg.