Society | Nov 16

Japan's oldest man dies at 111

HIROSHIMA, Nov 16 (Kyodo) - Shigeru Nakamura, a 111-year-old recognized as Japan's oldest man, died Tuesday at a nursing home in Hiroshima Prefecture where he resided, the facility said.

Born on Jan. 11, 1911, in Jinsekikogen in the western Japan prefecture, Nakamura was exposed to the after-effects of the Aug. 6, 1945, atomic bombing of Hiroshima by U.S. forces in the closing stages of World War II, after he went to help clean up rubble in the devastated city following the attack.

Nakamura became Japan's oldest man after the previous titleholder died at age 112 in Nara Prefecture on Sept. 9 this year. In an interview with Kyodo News at the time, Nakamura said the secret to his health was "loving people." ...continue reading

Source: ANNnewsCH


The Imperial Household Agency has announced that Princess Kako, the second daughter of the Akishino family, is scheduled to visit Greece in late May to promote international goodwill.

The Taiji Town Whale Museum in Wakayama Prefecture conducted a memorial service on Tuesday for marine mammals and fish that have died in captivity.

A startling projection has been unveiled, suggesting that if current trends continue, every Japanese person might eventually be named 'Sato'.


Four men have been arrested by Tokyo police for allegedly recruiting women for prostitution in the United States via a website, promising encounters with affluent clients and high earnings.

For the first time in 73 years, Japan has unveiled a newly constructed whaling mother ship, equipped with drone technology for whaling operations in the Antarctic Sea.

The Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) in Nara Prefecture has disciplined its former Youth Division Chief following a controversial dance party incident.

Residents of Japan's oldest student dormitory, self-managed for over 100 years, are digging in as Kyoto University attempts to evict them from the premises.

A Japan Airlines flight en route from Melbourne to Narita Airport encountered sudden severe turbulence on April 1, causing injuries to several cabin crew, including a broken leg.