News On Japan

Japan Tobacco to launch new smokeless product this year

Feb 08 (Japan Today) - Japan Tobacco Inc plans to launch a new "heat-not-burn" (HNB) product in Japan as early as the end of this year, as it tries to catch Philip Morris International (PM.N) in a growing cigarette-alternative category.

Japan Tobacco is under pressure to keep its dominance in the domestic market where its sales of conventional cigarettes fell to the lowest since the former state monopoly was reorganized to the current company in 1985. Japan Tobacco is still one-third government-owned.

It said it would spend more than 100 billion yen over the next three years on development and production of what it calls "reduced-risk products (RRP)," or cigarette alternatives that do not use combustion to deliver nicotine.

"For Japan Tobacco's continuous growth, we must win in the RRP category," Chief Executive Officer Masamichi Terabatake said at an earnings briefing.

Japan has become a fertile market for HNB products as the country's regulations effectively ban e-cigarettes that use nicotine-laced liquid. Tobacco makers have been struggling to ship enough products to meet demand as a growing number of smokers switch to these smokeless tobacco offerings.

Mizuho Securities analyst Hiroshi Saji estimated HNB products will account for 29 percent of Japan's tobacco market this year, up from 16 percent in 2017. He estimated Philip Morris to keep its lead in the HNB market with a 76.2 percent share, with the rest evenly held by Japan Tobacco and British American Tobacco PLC.

Japan Tobacco, which commands over 60 percent of the domestic cigarette market, lags behind Philip Morris, which launched its IQOS device in Japan in 2014 and expanded nationwide in April 2016.

News On Japan
POPULAR NEWS

A deepening labor shortage in Japan’s construction industry is beginning to impact homebuyers, with some experiencing delays of more than six months before construction can even begin due to a lack of available carpenters.

From April 1st, a new regulation took effect across Osaka Prefecture requiring all restaurants with a customer seating area larger than 30 square meters to become entirely smoke-free indoors—unless they install a designated smoking room. Establishments violating the rule face fines of up to 50,000 yen, while customers may be fined up to 30,000 yen.

The Imperial Household Agency launched an official YouTube channel on April 1st to introduce the activities of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako.

Japan's new fiscal year began on April 1st, with companies across the country holding entrance ceremonies to welcome new employees.

The Japanese government has released an updated damage forecast for a potential Nankai Trough megaquake, estimating that up to 298,000 people could die in the worst-case scenario. This projection reflects a slight reduction from the previous estimate of 332,000 deaths made 13 years ago.

MEDIA CHANNELS
         

MORE Society NEWS

In response to a sharp rise in women soliciting prostitution on the streets of Osaka's Kita entertainment district, police and local authorities implemented countermeasures last year. But how effective have those measures been?

As Japan marks 80 years since the end of World War II, Angelita Oshiro, an 86-year-old second-generation Japanese woman living in Davao on the southern Philippine island of Mindanao, was finally granted the restoration of her long-awaited Japanese citizenship on April 2nd.

Cherry blossoms are now in full bloom. On April 2nd, crowds gathered along the Okawa River in Osaka to enjoy the hanami season. While spring typically lifts spirits, this year’s celebrations come with a pinch.While moods may be rising, so are prices.

A fire broke out on the morning of April 2nd at a farm in Kamishihoro, a town in the Tokachi region of Hokkaido, killing approximately 20 cattle housed in a barn.

A special unit dedicated to investigating "lone offenders"—individuals who commit acts of terrorism without belonging to any specific organization—has been established for the first time in Japan within the Public Security Bureau of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department.

The Imperial Household Agency launched an official YouTube channel on April 1st to introduce the activities of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako.

Downtown, the popular comedy duo, has stepped down as official ambassadors for the Osaka-Kansai Expo, according to an announcement by the Japan Association for the 2025 World Exposition.

A tour bus carrying over 20 foreign tourists collided with a van inside the Tokiwa Tunnel on the Dōō Expressway on March 31st, sending several people to the hospital.