Society | Nov 20

Matching apps gain popularity among Japanese

One in four couples who got married in the past year in Japan met through matching apps, the same proportion as those who met at work, a recent survey conducted by Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance Co. has found.

The online survey, conducted from October 12 to 16, received responses from a total of 1,620 married people ages 20 to 79 nationwide. The insurance company announced the results of the survey on Thursday.

Asked where the respondents met their spouse, 25 percent of the newlyweds answered through "matching apps" and the same proportion cited "colleagues, seniors or juniors at work," while 13.5 percent answered "introductions by friends or acquaintances," 9.4 percent said "school classmates, seniors or juniors," and 7.3 percent said "marriage hunting parties or events." ...continue reading


The Imperial Household Agency has announced that Princess Kako, the second daughter of the Akishino family, is scheduled to visit Greece in late May to promote international goodwill.

The Taiji Town Whale Museum in Wakayama Prefecture conducted a memorial service on Tuesday for marine mammals and fish that have died in captivity.

A startling projection has been unveiled, suggesting that if current trends continue, every Japanese person might eventually be named 'Sato'.


Four men have been arrested by Tokyo police for allegedly recruiting women for prostitution in the United States via a website, promising encounters with affluent clients and high earnings.

For the first time in 73 years, Japan has unveiled a newly constructed whaling mother ship, equipped with drone technology for whaling operations in the Antarctic Sea.

The Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) in Nara Prefecture has disciplined its former Youth Division Chief following a controversial dance party incident.

Residents of Japan's oldest student dormitory, self-managed for over 100 years, are digging in as Kyoto University attempts to evict them from the premises.

A Japan Airlines flight en route from Melbourne to Narita Airport encountered sudden severe turbulence on April 1, causing injuries to several cabin crew, including a broken leg.