News On Japan

Suspect in explosives attack on Japan's prime minister is indicted for attempted murder

Sep 06 (devdiscourse.com) - Japanese prosecutors formally indicted a 24-year-old man Wednesday on attempted murder and other charges in the explosives attack on Prime Minister Fumio Kishida in April, court officials said.

Kishida was campaigning for elections in a small fishing port in Wakayama in western Japan when a man at the speech venue suddenly threw a homemade pipe bomb at him. Kishida was unhurt, but two people had minor injuries. Suspect Ryuji Kimura, 24, was arrested on the spot and had been on a three-month psychiatric evaluation sought by the local prosecutors to determine if he is mentally fit for trial. Police and prosecutors also determined that the bomb used in the attack was lethal, according to local media reports.

Prosecutors formally indicted Kimura on an attempted murder charge and four others, including violation of the gun and swords control law and the explosives control law, according to the Wakayama District Court, which accepted the indictment. Trial dates have yet to be decided, court officials said. In the indictment, prosecutors allege that Kimura threw the handmade pipe bomb at Kishida with an intent to kill, causing minor injuries to a police officer and a local resident in the audience, Kyodo News reported. Kimura has refused to talk to the authorities. But he may have been angry because he couldn't file for candidacy in 2022 elections, Japanese media reported. ...continue reading

News On Japan
POPULAR NEWS

A deepening labor shortage in Japan’s construction industry is beginning to impact homebuyers, with some experiencing delays of more than six months before construction can even begin due to a lack of available carpenters.

From April 1st, a new regulation took effect across Osaka Prefecture requiring all restaurants with a customer seating area larger than 30 square meters to become entirely smoke-free indoors—unless they install a designated smoking room. Establishments violating the rule face fines of up to 50,000 yen, while customers may be fined up to 30,000 yen.

The Imperial Household Agency launched an official YouTube channel on April 1st to introduce the activities of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako.

Japan's new fiscal year began on April 1st, with companies across the country holding entrance ceremonies to welcome new employees.

The Japanese government has released an updated damage forecast for a potential Nankai Trough megaquake, estimating that up to 298,000 people could die in the worst-case scenario. This projection reflects a slight reduction from the previous estimate of 332,000 deaths made 13 years ago.

MEDIA CHANNELS
         

MORE Politics NEWS

Japan's national budget for the new fiscal year is now set to pass within the current fiscal term, following an unusual set of deliberations in the Diet on March 28th.

Japan is busily laying the groundwork for a state visit by Xi Jinping, in what has now become a roughly once-in-a-decade occurrence. The last visit was derailed by COVID-19. (East Asia Forum)

Japan is facing a pivotal moment in pension reform as the government prepares to revise its system for the first time in five years. With a shrinking workforce and an aging population, the pension system is under pressure, prompting new proposals that could impact millions.

The foreign ministers of Japan, China and South Korea have agreed to promote future-oriented cooperation in tackling common issues, and accelerate arrangements to hold a trilateral summit in Japan as early as possible. (NHK)

A third-party panel investigating allegations of power harassment against Hyogo Governor Motohiko Saito submitted its findings to the prefectural government on March 19th, concluding that ten instances of his conduct constituted workplace harassment.

A recent incident involving the attack on Takashi Tachibana has raised concerns over the lack of available information about the suspect, Miyanishi. Despite the rapid flow of information in the digital age, very little has surfaced regarding his background beyond his residence and employment status.

The controversy surrounding Prime Minister Ishiba’s 100,000-yen voucher program continued to face scrutiny in the Diet on Monday, with opposition parties intensifying their criticism. Within the ruling party, concerns are mounting that Ishiba may be an electoral liability.

Okinawa’s ruling and opposition lawmakers failed to reach a consensus on March 13th regarding revisions to the 2025 fiscal general budget, with the Washington office’s operational expenses emerging as a key point of contention. The debate remained deadlocked.